Candidates for graduation must file their application at least one semester prior to the time requirements are expected to be completed. Deadlines are announced each semester and application forms may be obtained at http://www.uah.edu/registrar/commencement/apply-to-graduate. Early application will assist the student by confirming requirements remaining to be completed. Requirements must be completed and certified prior to the published deadline. Diplomas are issued at the end of each semester or during commencement ceremonies.
Total Degree Requirements
1. Minimum Degree Requirements
o Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Bachelor of Science in Economics and Computational Analysis, and the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies have a minimum of 120 semester hours.
o Bachelor of Arts in Education or Bachelor of Science in Education have a minimum of 123 semester hours.
o Bachelor of Science in Nursing requires no less than 120 semester hours; different programs/tracks within the degree may require more than 120 semester hours.
o Bachelor of Science has a minimum of 120 semester hours.
o The Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering, and the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering have a minimum of 128 semester hours.
o Bachelor of Science in Optical Engineering requires 129 semester hours. (No students will be admitted after fall 2018).
2. A minimum of 25% of the total requirements and 12 of the last 18 semester hours must be completed at UAH.
3. Unless otherwise specified by the department involved, a minimum of 12 semester hours of upper-level courses numbered 300 or above must be completed at UAH in a student's program (6 semester hours in the major and 6 semester hours in the minor or cognate studies).
4. A minimum of 30% of the total degree requirements must be taken in courses numbered 300 or above (39 semester hours for a 128 semester hour requirement).
5. The maximum amount of correspondence or credit by examination allowed towards a bachelor's degree is 50% of the degree requirements.
6. An overall average of C is required for all courses taken at UAH; and in all courses in the major discipline taken at UAH; and in all courses in the minor discipline taken at UAH or in all courses listed in the cognate studies option taken at UAH.
7. A maximum of 50% of a degree program may be earned from a junior, community or two-year college. Requests for exceptions must be in writing and approved by the Dean of the College in which the student is enrolled.
8. Additional requirements for each degree are described in the appropriate sections of this catalog.
The degree requirements for graduation are normally those specified in the catalog in effect when a student first registers as a degree-seeking student at UAH. At any time during the student's enrollment that requirements for graduation are changed, a student may elect to graduate under the new requirements. If the student does not complete requirements for graduation within seven years from the date of entry or seven years from the date of the catalog chosen, the student must then change to the catalog in effect and meet the requirements as specified. If a student breaks enrollment for a period of at least 24 months, the student must then change to the catalog in effect at the time of re-enrollment and meet the requirements as specified. The student's advisor and college dean must approve any exceptions to this policy with the proper notation filed in the student's program of study in the Registrar's Office. At any point at which a change in catalog becomes necessary, a new program of study must be completed and proper notation filed in the Registrar's Office.