323 Roberts Hall
Dean: Beth N. Quick, Ed.D.
The mission of the College of Education is to prepare knowledgeable, caring, and reflective educators and professionals who are committed as leaders to serving the needs of all learners and clients. As a faculty we accomplish our mission through outstanding teaching, cutting-edge research, and meaningful service.
The mission of the College of Education is communicated through our shared vision and articulated in our theme, Through Teaching, We Lead. The establishment of this theme codifies the major purpose of our department: to graduate professionals who are exceptionally well-prepared in disciplinary, pedagogical, and professional knowledge, who understand and are prepared to address the needs of all learners and clients, and who are committed to serving as leaders in their professional community to ensure a high-quality public or private education or delivery of services.
Teacher education programs at UAH are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and approved by the Alabama State Board of Education, according to standards of the National Association of the State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) for the issuance of appropriate professional certificates for service in public schools.
Degrees and Programs Offered
Under the State of Alabama plan, there are five levels of teacher certification programs, namely, P-3, K-6, 4-8, 6-12, and P-12. The College of Education offers all options. In conjunction with the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences and the College of Science, both undergraduate and graduate certification programs are offered. Candidates who complete the following undergraduate certification programs meet the requirements for the Highly Qualified Teacher in Alabama.
The College of Education offers degree programs in the following departments:
Curriculum and Instruction:
- Early Childhood Education/Early Childhood Special Education (PreK-3/birth to age 8)
- Elementary Education (K-6)
- Secondary/High School Education (6-12) with majors in biology, chemistry, English language arts, foreign language (German, French, Spanish), general science, history, mathematics, physics, and social science
- Collaborative Teacher – Special Education K-6 or 6-12
- Middle School Endorsement (4-8) with teaching fields in biology, chemistry, English language arts, foreign language (German, French, Spanish), general science, history, mathematics, physics, and social science
- Music Education (P-12)
- A minor is not available in education.
- Kinesiology - Exercise Science
- Kinesiology - Physical Education Teacher Education (P-12)