This graduate certificate will allow students to study the educational needs of learners with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The graduate certificate will introduce students to the characteristics of ASD, the assessment needs of students with ASD, the social and communication profiles and educational needs of these learners, the unique behavioral characteristics of this population, and will teach educational strategies which benefit learners with an ASD disorder.
Increasing numbers of those identified with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) require the skills and expertise of professionals trained to address specific ASD needs. UAH's online/hybrid Autism Spectrum Disorders Graduate Certificate is a non-licensure program designed for teachers and human service agency staff to acquire these skills and expertise. This Graduate Certificate meets the Professional Content Standards of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) and, offers students the opportunity to pursue graduate-level education through the flexibility of online/hybrid learning from UAH faculty and ASD professionals.
The Autism Spectrum Disorders Graduate Certificate is ideal for educators, interventionists, psychologists, pathologists, behavior analysts, or family members who want to enhance their preparation for working with children and adults affected with autism spectrum disorders. Teacher certification is not a requirement for admission to this program.
This program does NOT lead to a ALSDE Teaching Certificate.
Program completers will be prepared to:
- Work as public school teachers in a broad range of educational settings including the general education classroom and special education programs
- Work as human service agency personnel implementing research-validated intervention strategies for children, youth and adults in community agencies
- Implement research-validated instruction/intervention strategies for children, youth and young adults with autism spectrum disorders
- Assess the effectiveness of individualized instruction/intervention programs for individuals with autism spectrum disorders
This 15-credit graduate certificate program consists of 5 classes. The graduate certificate can be completed as a stand-alone certificate or a maximum of 12 semester hours (4 credits) can be applied toward the degree requirements for a Master of Education (M.Ed.).
The items listed below are required for admission to this program; only complete files are reviewed.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- GPA of 3.0, or at least 3.0 for the last 30 semester credits of graded course work.
- Complete a Graduate School Application indicating Graduate Certificate for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
|EDC 636||INTRO STUD AUTISM SPECTR DISOR||3|
|EDC 645||ASMT & BEHAVIOR APPLC ASD||3|
|EDC 655||COLLAB & TRANSITION PLANNG||3|
|EDC 625||ASSISTIVE TECH EDUC INDV W/ASD||3|
|EDC 660||PRCTL APPLC VIS INSTR STRATEGY||3|