Technical Communication Certificate Requirements:
This program leads to an M.A. in English with a Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication. In addition to the basic requirements listed below, this program requires coursework in technical writing and editing as well as coursework in a technical or allied field. Those courses will be determined in consultation with the Director of Technical Writing. The program requires 12 courses (36 hours) for completion, six of which (18 hours) will be in literature. You will need to complete either a Capstone Project or a Thesis. The other course requirements are as follows:
|EH 501||THRY & PRACTICE TECHNICAL COMM||3|
|EH 603||EDITING FOR PUBLICATION||3|
|EH Technical Writing Elective, 600 level||3|
|EH Technical Writing Elective||3|
|Allied Field Course||3|
|Allied Field Course||3|
|Total Semester Hours||36|
- At least one third of the hours you take toward your degree should be at the 600 level.
- At least 18 hours in your program should be in literature. To count, a course should deal with literature directly, rather than with writing or other topics. Please check to confirm if you have any questions about a specific course. Special certificate programs require additional hours that are determined in consultation with the appropriate program advisors.
- You must complete all work toward your degree within thirty semesters of the first course you take (counting summers). Courses taken between eighteen and thirty semesters prior to your degree program completion date may be re-validated by departmental exams negotiated with the specific faculty member who has responsibility for that course; any graduate course more than thirty semesters old may not be used.
- EH 540 and EH 649 indicate “Special Topics” courses. Often these are new courses, or courses taught by visiting faculty. You may include any number of these classes in your program of study, as long as you meet other requirements.
- Up to nine hours of graduate work in English may be transferred from other institutions with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies. At least nine hours in English courses numbered 500 or above must be completed here at UAH (exclusive of thesis hours).
- To be a full-time student, you will need to take a course load of 9 hours per semester. While you are permitted to take up to 13 semester hours per term, you should consult with the Director of Graduate Studies about doing so.
- You must maintain a 3.0 GPA in all courses taken at the graduate level. If in any semester your cumulative GPA falls below that 3.0 level, you will be on probation. You might also wish to assess your commitment to a graduate program.
- All students complete either a thesis or a capstone project. For more information, see the FAQ on the English Department Graduate page.