Students who are interested in earning graduate credit but who are not applicants for a graduate degree program at UAH may be admitted as non-degree graduate students. Admission in this category requires proof of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and department and/or college approval.
- This category is not available to students with non-immigrant visa status.
- Non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid.
All courses taken while in non-degree status require the approval of the department chair. Students must maintain the same grade point average requirements expected of conditionally admitted graduate students. Graduate courses numbered 500 and above may be taken while in this category provided that all prerequisites have been met.
Individuals admitted as graduate non-degree students may decide to complete an application for admission to a graduate degree or certificate program. If admitted, credit earned as a non-degree graduate student may be applied toward a graduate degree or certificate program subject to the following conditions and limitations:
- All grades earned in 500-level courses or above during non-degree status and applied to a graduate degree or certificate program must have been B or higher;
- No more than twelve (12) graduate semester hours for courses taken as a non-degree student may be applied to a degree program.
- Courses used to satisfy degree or certificate requirements are subject to approval by the academic department, and grades for those courses become part of the student's graduate program GPA.
To apply to as a non-degree student, please visit the Graduate Non-Degree Application webpage.