UAH Resident/Non-Resident Tuition Fee Guidelines


All students registering at The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) who do not demonstrate, by presenting satisfactory evidence, that they are "resident students" will pay a "non-resident student" tuition. "Non-resident student" tuition will be at least twice the amount of "resident student" tuition. The residency classification of students will be made at the time of their initial registration and will continue unchanged through all subsequent registrations until satisfactory evidence to the contrary is submitted at the time of any subsequent registration. An Application for Reclassification of Residence must be submitted to the Office of the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs no later than the last day of registration for the appropriate semester.

Demonstrating Alabama Residency

A resident student, for the purposes of this policy, is one who has established residency in Alabama and has maintained that status for at least one year immediately prior to the date of registration at any institution of higher education in the state. The policy of the Board of Trustees of The University of Alabama on non-resident tuition states that "residence" refers to that "single location at which a person resides with the intent of remaining there indefinitely as evidenced by more substantial connections with that place than with any other place." Students seeking to demonstrate that they are Alabama residents must certify to three facts:

  1. that an address or location within Alabama is their residence,
  2. that they intend to remain there indefinitely, and
  3. that they have "more substantial connections" with Alabama than with any other state.

Though satisfying the location and statement of intent requirements are essential, demonstrating residency will depend upon the University's evaluation of the student's connections with the state. No single connection or combination will automatically result in a finding of residency. Moreover, even if one or more connections with Alabama exist, a person who is in Alabama primarily for the purpose of obtaining an education will be considered a non-resident. The Board policy lists the following as connections that may be considered:

  1. Payment of Alabama state income taxes as a resident
  2. Ownership of a residence or other real property in the state and payment of state ad valorem taxes thereon
  3. Full-time employment (not temporary) in the state
  4. Residence in the state of a spouse, parents, or children
  5. Previous periods of residency in the state continuing for one year or more
  6. Voter registration and voting in the state, especially registration occurring more than one year prior to the student's initial registration
  7. Possession of state or local licenses to do business or practice a profession in the state
  8. Ownership of personal property (e.g., automobile, boat, etc.) in the state and payment of state taxes thereon; possession of state license plates
  9. Continuous physical presence in the state for a purpose other than attending school and except for temporary absences for travel, military service, temporary employment, etc.
  10. Membership in religious, professional, business, civic, or social organizations in the state
  11. Maintenance in the state of checking and savings accounts, safe deposit boxes, investment accounts, etc.
  12. In-state address shown on selective service registration, driver's license, automobile title registration, hunting and fishing licenses, insurance policies, stock and bond registrations, last will and testament, annuities, retirement plans, etc.
  13. Location within the state of the high school from which the student graduated

As stated above, a student will be classified as an Alabama resident only if the student is able to show that he/she became a resident one year or more prior to the date of registration at any institution of higher education in the state by identifying then existing, sufficient connections with Alabama.

Demonstrating Alabama Residency - Alternative Approach

A student who does not qualify for classification as a resident student under the foregoing requirements may possibly qualify if he/she (or his/her supporting person in the case of a minor) meets any one of the following requirements at the time of registration:

  1. Is a full-time, non-temporary employee at UAH or is the spouse of such an employee
  2. Is employed by UAH as a graduate student or fellow on at least a 0.5 FTE (half-time) basis
  3. Is a full-time, non-temporary employee of some other employer within the state of Alabama, or can verify such employment beginning not more than 90 days after registration, or is the spouse of such employee
  4. Is a resident of Bedford, Coffee, Franklin, Giles, Lawrence, Lincoln, Marion, Marshall, or Moore County in Tennessee and has been a resident of that County for at least one year preceding the date of registration. The requirements for a student to demonstrate that he/she is a "resident" of one of the foregoing counties shall be the same as set forth above with regard to demonstrating Alabama residency.
  5. Is an out-of-state active duty or retired military veteran who is a resident of any (non-Alabama) county within 90 miles of the UAH campus
  6. Is a member of the U.S. military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school, or is the spouse of a member.
  7. Has been a member of the Alabama National Guard for at least 2 years immediately preceding the date of registration at UAH, and continues to be such a member while enrolled at UAH.
  8. Is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces who lives in Alabama and who
    1. has served on active duty continuously for at least 2 years and has received an honorable discharge (as verified by Department of Defense Form 214) within 5 years of registration at UAH;
    2. is currently serving in a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces (as verified by documentation from his/her commanding officer);
    3. has been assigned a service-connected disability by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.

As used in these Guidelines, a "minor" refers to an individual who, because of age, lacks the capacity to contract under Alabama law. This means a single individual under age 19 and a married individual under age 18. A "supporting person" refers to either or both of the parents of a student, if they are living together, or, if the parents are divorced or living separately, then the parent providing the greater amount of financial support of the two (normally, the parent having legal custody). "Non-temporary" employment means employment that is on-going and not seasonal or for a specific period of time or for the express purpose of financing the student's college education.


The Associate Vice President for Student Affairs will make the initial decision on an application for reclassification to resident student status. This decision may be appealed to the Office of the Provost. Notice of appeal must be in writing and must be delivered no later than fourteen (14) days after the date of the initial decision of the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs. This decision may be appealed to the President of the University, whose decision shall be final.

The foregoing Guidelines are a summary of the provisions of Rule 202 of The Board of Trustees of The University of Alabama ("Non-resident Tuition Policy"). This Rule constitutes the full statement of policy applicable to the residency classification of UAH students.